Sunday 23 November 2014

So long and thanks for all the fish...

OK, so it's not goodbye exactly. Or at all, really. I'm having a change of direction. I have a lovely big pile of paper on my shelf that is my completed draft of the middle grade novel. But that's where it'll stay. Yes, I know I've been working on it for ages and yes, I know I was really excited by it. Perhaps I will be again one day. But it got to the stage where sitting down to work on it was becoming a chore, so I made the decision to leave it.

I thought perhaps that I'd finished with writing. I thought perhaps that it was time to give it all up. I've given it a good few years, I've worked hard, I've learned a huge amount, but was I all written out? It seems the answer is no. So I'm not giving up, I'm changing direction. It's goodbye to writing for children, but it's hello to writing for grown up people.

I have a sparkly new idea. I have a pin board full of new pictures. I have notes. I have a new Scrivener folder. I have the beginnings of a new story. Where all this will take me, I couldn't say. Hopefully somewhere shiny, new and exciting. But I've taken the first step on what could be a long and happy road and I'm delighted!



4 comments:

  1. Good luck! Such exciting news. Sue, can't wait to hear all about it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ness. I really though I'd put away the pens for good, but then the idea came to me. I am hugely excited! :-D

      Delete
  2. Good for you, Sue (although we'll be sorry to lose you from the kids' lit world, if only for a while). Hope it goes swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I'll let you know how it goes!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.