These are my ten rules – things that I have realised are true to me.
1. A novel won't write itself.
2. Dark chocolate is good for you but not if you eat the whole bar in one sitting.
3. Telling friends and family you can't see them/talk to them because you're writing is wrong if all you end up doing is mucking about on Facebook.
4. Talking about writing is not the same as actually doing it, however enthusiastic you may be.
5. Green tea is good for you but it tastes vile.
6. Leaving difficult tasks until they become irrelevant does work, but the huge amount of guilt you feel just isn't worth it.
7. There is such a thing as too much research.
8. Reading running magazines will not make you fitter unless you actually go out and run.
9. Your teenage daughter rarely wants your advice even though you invariably do Know Better.
10. It's OK to fail but it's not OK to give up.
What are yours?